Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Life on Martlesham Heath before the houses were built

By Jonathan Waters, the Owner/Managing Director of Jonathan Waters Estate Agents, Martlesham Heath and Ipswich. 

This is the first of a series of articles about life on Martlesham Heath before the houses were built.

Jonathan’s family have owned property on Martlesham Heath since 1984 and still live there.  Jonathan, who hasalso owned a property  on the heath and visits the area almost every day, was proud to have been involved in the development of the Martlesham Heath residential area whilst working in the planning department at Suffolk Coastal District Council.

“I have been fascinated by Martlesham Heath and its history for as long as I can remember.  Having grown up in the area, I have memories of many an adventure on the heath before the houses were built.”

We nearly blew ourselves up!

When I was about 14 my father and I enjoyed going out with our metal detectors.  At that time the hobby had really taken off and technology in metal detectors had improved considerably since the first ones that had come out.  Most weekends we would go off, trowels and detectors in hand, to an area of land with public access to see what we could find.

One hot sunny morning, in about 1977, we decided to try Martlesham Heath.I was full of enthusiasm as just weeks earlier we had had a number of successes, including the discovery of some Tudor coins found in the woods off Foxhall Road (near where the Nuffield Hospital is today)..  My eagerness  was pumped up even more by a beep on my metal detector, barely ten seconds into our detecting session.

Out came the trowel, a scurry of excited digging, and....a large, live bullet!  A minute later another, and another, along with numerous empty cartridge cases.

As a teenager fascinated by the war, guns and ammunition in general, this was living history at its very best – how much more exciting could it get?

Fortunately, my dad had a more serious head on his shoulders and, despite my loudest protests, decided we should definitely cut this session short.  If we hadn’t I might not have been here to tell the tale.

I am a regular visitor to the superb Martlesham Heath Aviation Society Museum in the control tower. Many years later I looked at the scale model they have on display and discovered that where we had been detecting that day was none other than the ammunition dump!

I think we could call it a lucky escape!

Needless to say, although I eventually went on to open up Jonathan Waters Estate Agents on Martlesham Heath, we never went back to do any more metal detecting in the area.

A selection of finds from the metal detecting days!
Estate Agents Martlesham - To book a valuation appointment with Jonathan Waters or one of his senior valuation team in Martlesham or Ipswich, please contact:

625 Foxhall Road, Ipswich, Suffolk, IP3 8ND
01473 721133

35 Buttermarket, Ipswich, Suffolk, IP1 1BH
01473 281188

Bristol Court, Betts Avenue, Martlesham Heath Business Park, Martlesham IP5 3RY
01473 620222




No comments:

Post a Comment