Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Grange Farm from Start to Finish by Martlesham Heath Estate Agents Jonathan Waters



 The Martlesham Heath branch of Jonathan Waters Estate Agents covers the village, Old Martlesham, Grange Farm and Kesgrave as well as the towns and villages on the eastern side of Ipswich such as Waldringfield and Newbourne, and Woodbridge.

“I have been fascinated by the history of the area between Ipswich and Woodbridge, between east Ipswich and the River Deben, for as long as I can remember.  Having grown up in the area I have many memories of  life in the Kesgrave, Rushmere-St-Andrew and Martlesham areas”.

Hundreds of leaflets and very sore feet later.....

I think it was about 1986.  I suppose you could say I was involved in it right from the very start.

I’m talking about Grange Farm.

From my time working in the planning department at Suffolk Coastal District Council I was lucky enough to be involved in a number of large and interesting projects – the Grange Farm development was without doubt the biggest and most exciting.

There I was, in my early 20s, sat in front of the computer to register the day’s planning applications.  The first one was for a tiny  3ft square porch extension on a bungalow in Kesgrave.  The second one was for 3,000 new homes to be built on farmland at Kesgrave – the biggest single residential development that Suffolk Coastal had received for years.

All was going well until a voice said: “Jonathan, we need someone to go round and deliver a leaflet about this planning application to every property backing onto the Grange Farm land.”

I didn’t mind, I always relished the chance to get out of the office and actually see the areas that the applications were relating to.

By late afternoon, having completed the task I was collapsed in a chair in the Kesgrave Kitchen Cafe with my boss, Linda, who had also come to help with some of the leaflets. he Grange Farm development had begun!

The completion of the Taylor Wimpey site to the west of Cedarwood School was the last major part of Grange Farm to be finished.  This means that, from start to finish, Grange Farm has taken more than twenty five years to complete.

Martlesham Health Estate Agents - To book a valuation appointment for your Grange Farm home, or for any other property in the Ipswich area, contact  Jonathan Waters or one of his senior valuation team.

625 Foxhall Road, Ipswich, Suffolk, IP3 8ND
01473 721133

35 Buttermarket, Ipswich, Suffolk, IP1 1BH
01473 281188

Bristol Court, Betts Avenue, Martlesham Heath Business Park, Martlesham IP5 3RY
01473 620222


Some of the former farm buildings on Grange Farm
 just as work on the development was beginning.


No comments:

Post a Comment