Thursday, August 1, 2013

Hot air balloons over Tuddenham St Martin

“One of my interests is hot air ballooning” says Jonathan Waters, of Jonathan Waters Estate Agents, Ipswich.

“Ever since I was little I have always been fascinated by hot air balloons and if ever I have seen one, I have always attempted to follow them to find out where they’re going and where they’re landing.

“Despite my intense fear of heights, I was very lucky to be treated to a 30th birthday treat of a trip in a hot air balloon back in 1993.  An exhilarating experience if ever there was one, something quite unlike anything I have ever done before and I would certainly jump at the chance to do it again.

“I first spotted the balloons as I drove from Martlesham Heath on a Sunday evening a couple of weeks ago and by the time I had got to my home just off Bucklesham Road in Ipswich, the balloons were just going northwards over Ipswich Golf Course, heading out towards Rushmere-St-Andrew.

“I grabbed my camera and sped off up Bixley Road and Heath Road in east Ipswich with the intent of following the two highly colourful balloons.



“If anyone has tried to follow balloons either by car, bike or foot you will now it’s not easy.

“The art is trying to predict which direction they will go and the speed they are going.

“This was a fairly still night, but the balloons were still going at a surprising rate.

“I was certainly envious of the occupants of the balloons, this early summer evening was an absolute delight, and quite literally you could not get a better evening for a hot air balloon ride.

“I ended up in one of my favourite spots at Holly Lane in Rushmere-St-Andrew where I parked the car and decided to run on foot.

“I proceeded down the footpath from Holly Lane towards and went underneath the railway track and wasn’t sure whether they’d be going toward Playford or Tuddenham.

“They appeared to be landing in the Tuddenham area but then rapidly gained height and, despite my best efforts as a jogger, I was no match for the speed those balloons were going.  As the sun started to set on this beautiful evening I think they were coming down in the area north of Tuddenham towards Witnesham or possibly just west of Grundisburgh.

“There was also a fantastic sunset that evening so, despite the fact I had lost sight of the balloons, I was able to get some excellent sunset photographs”.

Did you see those hot air balloons?  Did you see where they eventually landed?  Or perhaps were you one of the lucky passengers in one of the balloons?

We’d be interested to hear from you – contact me at Jonathan Waters Estate Agents, Ipswich,  or call into one of our three offices.

625 Foxhall Road, Ipswich, Suffolk, IP3 8ND
01473 721133

35 Buttermarket, Ipswich, Suffolk, IP1 1BH
01473 281188

Bristol Court, Betts Avenue, Martlesham Heath Business Park, Martlesham IP5 3RY
01473 620222







No comments:

Post a Comment